Guarana (Paullinia cupana) is a plant that hails from the Amazon. Its many benefits include stimulant, anti-cancer, antibacterial, and weight loss effects. Because of the complexity of its constituents, it works in many ways.
Guarana (Paullinia cupana) is a species of climbing plant native to the Amazon regions known for its stimulant and medicinal properties. It has been used for centuries by indigenous peoples of the Amazon for its diuretic properties, therapeutic effects against headaches, fever, and cramps, and aphrodisiac effects.
With a taste that is described as slightly bitter, astringent, and acidic, guarana powder dissolved in water is considered by indigenous peoples as an elixir that promotes long life.
The seeds of a guarana berry contain approximately 4 times the amount of caffeine as a coffee bean. Other guarana components, such as saponins and tannins, provide extra stimulant effects.
Guarana is still primarily produced in the Brazilian states of Amazonas and Bahia. Approximately 70% of the production is used by soft and energy drink industries, while the other 30% becomes guarana powder for consumption directly or dilution in water, or as raw material for pharmaceutical and cosmetic industries